Our shared houses provide lower level support within shared accommodation as a stepping stone towards an independent tenancy. The move-on houses are part of our supported accommodation pathway.

You could be eligible if:

  • You are aged 16 to 25
  • You are in housing need
  • You require some support
  • You go to education, training or employment

What are move on houses?

The Y has several move on houses across Leicester City with 5 bedrooms with shared bathrooms, lounges, kitchens and gardens. The rent includes utilities, TV licences and council tax making it a simple process to budget and prioritise. There will be up to 5 people living in each house with en-suite bedrooms, shared bathrooms, lounges and courtyard gardens.


Support is available Monday to Friday with an on call team for emergencies. Our experienced housing officers will provide tailored 1 to 1 support to address things such as rent arrears, housing applications and bidding, moving on to independent tenancies and sustaining those with support based on your individual needs. This will include developing independent living skills and helping you to retain your education, training or work placement in order to give you every chance at succeeding.

How do I apply for accommodation?

If you have already been through housing options and they are unable to help, please get in touch with the team by using our contact form or emailing [email protected]. They’ll contact you to assess your eligibility and next steps.
If not, it is very likely you will need to try this route first. You can contact housing options here:

Housing Options Centre
Leicester City Council
York House
91 Granby Steet
Tel: 0116 454 1008

Supporting homeless Young People in the county

Read More


What is the age restriction for the move on houses?
Young people aged 17 to 24 meeting the other criteria would be eligible. We try to cluster people of a similar age together in a house. These age restrictions also apply to visitors to our houses for safeguarding reasons.

What if I have existing debt or rent arrears?
Our housing officers would work with you to customise a support plan with realistic goals and timescales including payment plans that you can achieve.

What would happen if I lose my job or place on a course?
The housing officers would support you getting back into employment, educational opportunities and benefit claims where necessary to get you back on track.

How long can I stay in a move on house?
Housing officers will work with you on your customised support plan to identify your needs and a timescale to give you the best chance of success. Residents can stay up to two years.

What happens when I am ready to leave?
Staff offer further support when you are looking for and moving into a new home. We can help with viewings, signing of the tenancy, transferring over any benefits into the new tenancy address, setting up household bills, managing letters and bills, looking at alternate support which will be ongoing.

Our Stories

I got kicked out of my house and I had nowhere to go, so I was living in a back alley for about a month.

Read more